Mediterranean Diet desserts are rich in healthy fruits, nuts and seeds. Enjoy them alone or as a delicious desserts after a Mediterranian Diet main course. Whichever way you choose, you'll be enjoying a tasty treat that's healthy, too.
Mediterranean Style Baked Apple for 4
- 4 cooking apples (Granny Smiths or your favorite cooking apple)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- 1/2 cup chopped golden raisins
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Lemon zest from ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Core apples.
- Place the apples into a baking dish.
- Mix all other ingredients together.
- Fill the center core holes with the mixture making sure to push it firmly into the holes.
- Use the remaining filling mixture to form mounds on the top of the apples.
- Pour approximately ½ inch of water into the baking dish.
- Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit approximately 40 - 45 minutes (the apple will be soft).
- Place apples on serving plates.
- Pour the juices from the baking dish over the apples.
- Serve immediately.
Fruit Salad with Honey Mint Sauce
- ¼ cup strawberries, quartered or halved
- ¼ cup raspberries
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ½ apple, cored and cubed
- 1/4 small banana, sliced
- ½ plum, pitted and chopped
- ½ peach, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 mint flavored tea bag
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- Place 1/3 cup water in a small pan and bring to a boil.
- Add tea bag, honey and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 1 -2 minutes or until tea mixture reaches the strength you enjoy.
- Remove from the heat.
- Allow to cool.
- Mix all of the fruit together in a bowl.
- Pour the tea, honey and lemon juice mixture over the fruit.
- Mix together gently.
- Place fruit salad in the refrigerator to chill.
- Sprinkle the fresh mint over fruit salad before serving.
Honey Almond Peaches
- 1 can halved peaches, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ cup almonds
- Rinse peach halves and arrange face up on baking sheet.
- Mix ricotta cheese thoroughly with honey and cardamom.
- Spoon honey-ricotta mixture into the peach halves.
- Bake peaches at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Grind the almonds in a food processor until coarsely ground while the peaches are baking.
- Gently toast in a pan over medium heat.
- Sprinkle with the course toasted almond meal after removing the peaches from the oven.
Related Mediterranean Diet Recipes and Articles
Delicious Healthy Mediterranean Diet Dessert Recipes
Mediterranean Diet dessert recipes are very easy to adapt. If you do not like a certain fruit leave it out or substitute one you enjoy eating. You can enjoy these delicious desserts while following the Mediterranean Diet plan to lose weight or maintain your current weight. In addition, according to the American Heart Association, by eating healthy and nutritious foods such as those included in the Mediterranean Diet, your risks of having a stroke or heart attack are reduced. Remember to check with your doctor before beginning any type of diet to make sure it is safe for you.