Most women need to increase metabolism post menopause in order to battle weight and overall health issues. As women age, lean body weight decreases, while fat weight increases. This is largely due to hormonal changes in the body, although genetic and even environmental factors can also play a role in your metabolism. What can you do to increase your metabolism if you are of post menopausal age? Keep reading for some excellent tips and advice.
Exercise is a key ingredient to increase metabolism post menopause. However, not all exercise is appropriate for older women. Before you ever begin an exercise program, it is essential that you see your doctor. For many women desperate to jumpstart their metabolism, exercising long and hard might seem to be the answer. However, instead of benefiting your body, you might be harming it. You'll need to start off slowly and safely, increasing your activity as your body becomes accustomed to each exercise level. Remember: incorporating exercise into your daily schedule is actually changing the way you live!
Types of Exercise
You and your doctor can decide on the exercise program that is right for you. Once you do, you'll need to stick with it. The following types of exercises may be suitable for you:
- Walking-Without a doubt, one of the best exercises for increasing metabolism is walking. This is especially true for those who are post menopause.
- Swimming-Proclaimed as the perfect, low-impact exercise, swimming will help boost your metabolism without stressing your joints.
- Exercise classes-Programs, such as low-impact aerobics and Pilates are perfect for those who are post menopause.
These tips will help you achieve success:
- Try to exercise around the same time every day.
- Find an exercise buddy. You can inspire each other!
- Drink six to eight glasses of water daily.
- Consult your doctor if you have any unusual joint pains and/or swelling.
Diet to Increase Metabolism Post Menopause
While exercise is obviously an important factor to increase metabolism post menopause, combining diet and fitness is also essential. There are many foods that boost your metabolism. Not only what you eat, but how you eat it, is an important part of boosting metabolism as well.
- Begin your day with a large glass of very cold water. This is one way to rev up your metabolism.
- Eat several, small meals throughout the day. You burn calories during the digestion process.
- Choose low-fat, protein rich foods, such as chicken, turkey, and low-fat dairy products.
- Spices have actually been associated with raising a body's metabolism. Be sure you read the fat content before you go overboard spicing up your foods, however.
- Add green tea to your diet. It is filled with antioxidants which can speed up metabolism.