Proper nutrition and healthy eating are essential for good health. It doesn't matter if you want to lose weight, maintain your weight or improve your health, healthy eating is the only way to have a healthy body. Your body needs the right combination of nutrients for optimal functioning of vital systems. Start with learning the basics, then expand your knowledge and develop good habits. Here's to your good health!
It's important to know what is in the food you put in your body. With packaged foods, getting that information can be a bit trickier than just reading labels.
- Packaged foods sometimes have ingredients you'd never expect to find in them based on what they are called. Find out about 10 surprising ingredients in everyday foods.
- Sugar often lurks in unexpected places. Discover 10 foods you'll be shocked have more sugar than a Twinkie. This is an important lesson in the importance of reading the fine print!
- Sugar isn't always labeled as such on food package labels. Learn various other names for sugar on food labels so you can be certain to recognize products that have a lot of this substance.
Consequences of Poor Eating Habits
What you eat has a direct impact on how healthy you are. Learn about the consequences of poor eating habits to understand how they impact your health.
- Skipping breakfast is not the right way to cut calories. Find out about the negative consequences of not eating breakfast.
- Before you rush through a fast food drive-through, get more information on the effects of fast food on your health.
- Think caffeine is harmless? Think again. Discover its effects on the body, including how caffeine can impact weight gain.
The Path to Healthy Eating
When you're ready to commit to improving your health through better nutrition, you'll need to develop healthy eating habits for disease prevention.
- Educate yourself about good sources of protein, including which foods are both high in protein and low in fat.
- Learn about the role of fiber in a healthy diet and learn which foods are good sources of soluble fiber so you can develop fiber-rich menus.
- Find out about the role of vegetables in a healthy diet and seek ways to incorporate more fresh or frozen veggies into your way of eating.
- Gain the skills necessary to maintain a healthy diet once you have implemented initial changes to the way you eat.
Getting the Nutrients You Need
You can get most, if not all, of the nutrients essential for your body's vitality through proper nutrition and healthy eating. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables will keep you feeling energized and healthy. Lean meats or other protein sources are important as well in order to build strong muscles. Don't forget to drink lots of pure, clean water, too. It keeps your systems clean as well as helping you to lose weight and giving you clear, beautiful skin.