Alkaline diet recipes consist mostly of fresh salads, vegetables and alkaline fruits and nuts. Proponents of the Alkaline Diet say it will cleanse your system and rid it of excess body fat.
The Alkaline Diet
The Alkaline Diet goes by a number of names including: Alkaline Ash Diet, Acid Alkaline Diet and the Alkaline Acid Diet. They are one and the same. Foods eaten on this diet leave behind an alkaline residue (ash) when burned. This residue is made up of minerals which the body can use. With this approach to eating, foods are broken into three categories based on the pH levels of the ash they leave behind:
Foods to Eat on an Alkaline Diet
- Citrus fruits
Foods to Avoid
On the other end of the spectrum, foods to avoid or limit include:
- Dairy products
- Too much salt
Acidosis and Body Fat
What many people don't realize is that body fat is one symptom of acidosis. It results as a defense mechanism when the body creates fat cells to store the acids left behind when foods are burned and moves them away from your vital organs. For many people, eating a healthy alkaline diet helps to lose this excess fat. However, it is also important to note that eating more fresh foods including vegetables and fruits will also decrease the number of calories a person takes in. Less calories is a proven way to lose weight.
Acidosis, Yeast and Fungus
If your body isn't able to properly process the food you eat, this can also contribute to weight gain. Yeast and fungus flourish in an acid environment and makes it harder for your body to absorb the nutrition it needs. This can actually make you feel hungrier and crave sugar, which in turns feeds yeast and causes it to multiply. An Alkaline Diet helps bring your body's pH into balance and flushes your system of yeast and fungi overgrowth.
Other Benefits Related to Eating an Alkaline Diet
In one study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences showed that eating an alkaline diet showed disease-preventing genes became more active and health-promoting genes involved in breast and prostate cancer were shut down.
Other benefits attributed to eating an alkaline diet include:
- More energy
- Lowered blood pressure
- Decreased allergy symptoms
- Reduces free radical damage including premature aging
- Strengthens the cardiovascular system
- Lowered bad cholesterol
- Decreased mucus formation
Where to Find Alkaline Diet Recipes
If you don't know where to start with preparing foods for the Alkaline Diet, check out recipe books and the following online resources. You'll be surprised at the variety of foods available and you'll learn a number of new, creative combinations.
- Acidalkalinediet.com: Whether you're looking for ideas for breakfast, a snack or treat, this site provides alkaline diet recipes for any occasion.
- Balance-pH-Diet.com: Balance-pH-Diet.com provides a large selection of recipe ideas for soups, salads, main dishes, side dishes, sauces, dressings, dips, desserts and more.
- Alkaline Recipes PKD and PLD: The Alkaline Recipes PKD and PLD website provides menu ideas like Mushroom Ravioli as an entrée, and desserts like Sweet Potato Flan along with a number of informative articles.
- Alkaline Foods Cookbook
- The pH Balance Diet
- The Back to Eden Cookbook
- The Amazing Acid Alkaline Cookbook
Build Your Recipe Collection
As you try new alkaline recipes, build your collection of menu ideas by starting with foods you enjoy. Incorporate these new recipes into your diet plan and soon you'll have new favorites that help promote better health.