There are a variety of health considerations to take into account before embarking into the world of diet recipes and how to follow a PSMF diet. The PSMF diet is a medically designed protein-sparing diet helpful for those living with obesity. Patients needing to lose weight quickly due to secondary weight-related diseases are candidates likely approved for the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast.
Recipes and How to Follow a PSMF Diet
It is important to bear in mind the PSMF diet (Protein-Sparing Modified Fast) is, in fact, a medical fast designed for rapid weight loss in those who need to lose weight quickly, and is followed under strict medical supervision. Due to the biochemical dangers of rapid ketosis leading to ketoacidosis, along with potential risks for electrolyte imbalances and dehydration, patients are given an assortment of fluids and mineral supplements containing sodium and potassium. The program includes consistent monitoring of blood samples. Thus, the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast is not designed for the average low carb dieter, nor is it a fad diet in origin.
However, due to the overall success of the PSMF diet, other modified protein-sparing diets have sprung to life designed for the average dieter and body builder. In contrast, in the instance of a typical body building protein sparing diet, the PSMF is lower in calories and fat than a typical body builders' diet. A PSMF diet consists of an average of 400 to 800 calories a day with no carbs or fat. Along with 6 to 8-ounce portions of lean protein meals, such as chicken, turkey and fish, a patient on the PSMF diet is restricted to an average of two cups of low carb vegetables a day.
The Dukan Diet
Another fad diet, known as the Dukan Diet, is a remodeled version of the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast, and is popular in the UK among women of all body types. The Dukan diet consists of four main phases: The Attack phase, Cruise phase, Consolidation and Stabilization. There are considerable risks in undertaking the Dukan Diet, including the potential for electrolyte imbalance.
Low Carb Vegetables
While most vegetables are considered low in calories, not all vegetables are low in carbohydrates. Low carb vegetables suitable for a PSMF diet include the following choices:
- Bell peppers
- Mustard greens
- Green beans
- All sprouts
- All herbs
- Sea vegetables
High Carb Vegetables
- All potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squash
No Carb, Low Fat Recipes
Garlic Olive Chicken
Start to finish: 80 minutesServings: 3
- 1 3-pound chicken, skin removed
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns, crushed
- 1/4 cup green olives
- 1/8 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock, low-fat
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush chicken with one tablespoon lemon juice; combine one-half of the divided herbs and rub them all over the chicken.
- Slit 12 grooves into the poultry and stuff 12 garlic cloves into each hole. Combine the remaining garlic cloves, olives, peppercorns and almonds; add the mixture into the cavity of the chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a roasting pan, add the chicken and one-half of the divided herbs, lemon juice and chicken stock to the pan. Roast chicken for 65 minutes, or until poultry is tender and the juices run clear.
- Remove and let the juices settle for 10 minutes. Serve with roasted vegetables.
Bean and Tuna Salad
Start to finish: 45 minutesServings: 2
- 11 ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon, or less, olive oil
- 1/2 cup tarragon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar substitute (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces lean tuna steak, broiled or grilled, or canned tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
- Lettuce leaves for garnish
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- Combine the black beans, peppers, onions, tomatoes and mushrooms in a bowl. Toss ingredients with olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, basil and garlic. Chill the bean salad mixture overnight.
- Spoon the bean salad over a bed of lettuce; top with either canned tuna or broiled or grilled tuna steak. Garnish salad with sprigs of parsley and serve immediately.
Grilled Herb Tenderloin
Start to finish: 30 minutesServings: 2
- 1 pound pork tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn, crushed
- Combine garlic and olive oil. Brush mixture over the pork tenderloin, coating it evenly. Brush tenderloin with Dijon mustard.
- Combine herbs and rub them gently along the tenderloin. Sprinkle with fresh grated pepper.
- Heat the grill to medium-high temperature. Brush grill with oil to prevent sticking.
- Grill tenderloin approximately 20 to 25 minutes per pound. Remove and let rest for five minutes before serving.
- Slice tenderloin into medallions and serve with grilled vegetables.
If you want to know more about PSMF recipes and how to follow a PSMF diet, it is best to consult with your physician in order to determine if you would be a suitable candidate for the Protein-Sparing Modified Fast. Due to the chemical complexities, and potential dangers involved, medical supervision is necessary once an application is approved by a medical facility or practitioner.