The combination of cinnamon and honey is one of the latest weight loss fads. Some insist they've seen no difference after trying this tasty blend; others recommend it as a surefire way to lose extra pounds. While science has yet to prove cinnamon and honey support weight loss, there's evidence they may play a role.
Recipe for Weight Loss With Cinnamon and Honey
The recipe for this alleged miraculous weight loss aid is simple. You can make it in minutes and store it in the refrigerator for one day, or until needed. Mix up a batch each morning before breakfast.
Try using different types and flavors of local honey and different varieties of cinnamon until you get the results you desire or to change the flavor and palatability of the drink. Raw honey may have more potent health benefits.
- Combine the cinnamon and honey with the water in a small saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Filter the liquid into a cup and divide into two half-cup quantities.
- Consume one half an hour before breakfast and the second half an hour before going to sleep at night.
Weight Loss Helpful Tips
Keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Some proponents recommend adding raw honey after the water has boiled to retain nutrients and thus the benefits.
- By following this regimen, it is suggested a dieter may lose three to five pounds a week changing nothing else within their diet, but those results are anecdotal. Differences in results may be due to many factors, such as the type of cinnamon used, your activity level, pre-existing health conditions, and your overall diet.
- There are three types of cinnamon commonly available: Ceylon cinnamon, Korintje cinnamon, and cassia cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon is a milder form and safer to use long-term than other types, according to a Wall Street Journal report, although cassia is more likely to be what's in your pantry. Korintje cinnamon is used often by commercial bakeries due to its potency. All types of cinnamon may be used with honey, but it's unclear which is most effective for weight loss. Most studies on cinnamon's health benefits used Ceylon cinnamon.
- According to WebMD, cassia may interact with diabetes medications. It may increase your risk of liver damage when taken with medications that can harm the liver such as Tylenol and Diflucan. In addition, cassia may cause toxic side effects when used in high doses for long periods.
Cinnamon and Honey Effect on the Body
Despite cinnamon and honey being used as a natural remedy for centuries, there's no scientific evidence on how they work together to promote weight loss. Even so, research suggests each ingredient on its own may help you lose weight.
Honey contains mainly fructose and glucose. Common table sugar is mostly sucrose. According to a 2011 study on rats, honey promotes weight loss and reduces body fat and triglycerides better than sucrose. So in theory, replacing table sugar with honey may help you lose weight. An earlier study suggested honey may alter the response of specific appetite hormones to help protect against obesity. The study also concluded honey may help "blunt" the glycemic response.
No single study shows cinnamon definitely promotes weight loss. However, some research concluded cinnamon helps reduce insulin spikes, which can make it difficult for your body to burn fat. A 2007 study suggested cinnamon may delay stomach emptying to help keep you fuller longer. However, later research showed no delayed stomach emptying response, and no evidence cinnamon helped prevent metabolic disease that may lead to weight gain.
Some cinnamon proponents claim the spice helps warm the body and as a result, boost metabolism. No scientific research has proven this.
Not a Quick Weight Loss Fix
While this may sound like a terrific solution to your weight loss problem, it's not a quick fix. Most evidence that this using cinnamon and honey diet works is anecdotal; there are no proven results. Nobody can attain permanent weight loss without a healthy diet and exercise. To lose weight, you should eat a variety of food groups, limit junk food, and consume appropriate portions. Additionally, exercise that includes both cardio and strength-training should be a regular part of your exercise plan.